book club






Reading to kids is such a great investment of your time! The exposure to new words and ideas is so beneficial to their development, and of course it's also a way to love them by spending quality time together. We love books in our home, and Violet definitely has her favorites... The other day I couldn't find "THE COOKIE ONE" so I recited the entirety of it from memory since I've read it so many times.




This is the actual book. It's by Mo Willems, a really wonderful and funny children's author. I recommend any and everything by him. Here are a just a few other of our current favorites.




I think Richard Scarry is the Wes Anderson of the book world, stylistically speaking. There's just so much detail. Violet loves looking intently at each page. And as you can see from the book cover, this book has almost everything in it.




There are a lot of children's bibles out there, and I can't claim to be an expert since I've only read a couple, but we really like this one. Violet asks for "bible" every night before bed. It explains the stories in a clear way, and doesn't sugarcoat them the way other books do (aka there aren't just pastel lambs everywhere).




Violet can't get enough of the Little Bear stories. There's a part in one of the books where Grandfather bear does a jig, and as soon as we turn to that page, long before that sentence, Violet says "A JIG!" and jumps up and does a little dance. All the stories are very sweet too.


I could go on and on and on, but I'll stop there... We have lots of favorites! Looking forward to reading as a family for a long time to come.

2 comments:

mclaine April 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM  

It's amazing to see the difference in language development between children who are read to and those who aren't. Sometimes we literally recommend that the parent reads to the child more to improve his/her speaking. Keep it up and you'll have one smart cookie!

c November 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM  

It also helps with their writing, I bet. If Brad's students ever read, they would likely know how to spell and that "Imma" is not a word!

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive