here we go



I'm done with New Year's resolutions, for the most part. I decide to start and stop good eating and exercise several times throughout each year; I don't need a special day for that. But I will say that I have chosen one thing to focus on in the year ahead:

Spend more quality time with Violet.

Of course we spend loads of time together, and I do think it's good for kids to have time to play on their own as well. Here's the thing though- she's at an age where she wants to play with tea sets and play food and doll houses... yet she isn't quite old enough to converse well. So, if I'm being honest, just sitting with her and trying to play along for more than 10 minutes at a time gets... kind of boring, really.

I feel embarrassed to admit that I am a typical American, needing constant entertainment and fearing boredom. It might not look like it from the outside- we aren't a "always have the TV on in the background" household, but I do find myself escaping into other things- books (duh, see yesterday), art projects, running errands, working on this blog, etc. I'm so used to having something going on that just sitting and playing with Violet for very long is difficult for me.

So this year, I want to carve out more times each day to just focus on her, without making it mainly about my enjoyment. This also means coming to terms with the fact that she might not nap every day. In fact, let's be honest- she WILL NOT nap every day. Yet each day it doesn't happen, I feel wronged somehow, like my personal alone time has been stolen. I'd like to have a response more like, "well, that is pretty disappointing, but what's something fun we can do instead this afternoon?"

Here's to a year of just resting in the now.

1 comments:

mclaine January 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM  

I've been meaning to tell you for so long that your 'be here now' post really impacted me. I've talked about it in small groups and just in life in general. I love your New Year's Resolution. Super humble and selfless.

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive