flashback friday



This isn't just a flashback to the 80's, it's a look back at some early Karen in color.

For Christmas, my brother gave me season one of 21 Jump Street on DVD. I'm excited to watch it! I started to watch it like 4 years ago, but didn't end up keeping up with getting all the DVD's from the library. Read one of my old posts from June 2009 to see why it's worth watching!


[Random side note: On some of my early blog posts, the site that hosts my images has weirdly switched some with other ones that belong to someone else...]



So for awhile now I have been wanting to watch 21 Jumpstreet. I mean, how could I not want to see the show that Johnny Depp now claims to be totally embarrassed to have been in, the very one that catapulted him into fame and onto the covers of teen mags everywhere in the late 80's?

Sounds like my kind of show, so I rented season 1 on DVD. I am barely through episode 2 and I am just like bursting to blog about this. Seriously, WHERE HAS THIS GEM BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

For those of you don't know, the show stars Johnny as Tom Hanson, Jr, a young straight-laced cop who is following in the footsteps of his heroic dead dad. Sadly, because at age 21 he looks really young, no one takes him seriously. So to make him useful during his baby-faced years, the police chief decides to put him undercover in a crime-ridden high school. Antics ensue! 80's references abound!


Ok, if you aren't convinced of the awesomeness of this show, read on.

1. In episode one, a female cop takes the nerdy Tom to get a makeover. Hello, feathered hair and ear piercing! Come on, everyone loves a good makeover scene (See: She's All That, The Princess Diaries, every season of America's Next Top Model).

2. After a hard night of cops and criminals mocking his youthful appearance, lil Tom goes home and gets out his saxophone and a photo of him and dad. What else is there to do other than bust out a truly glorious 80's saxophone "solo" as he gazes forlornly at the photograph? Let me tell you, as a musician I love those moments on TV and movies where someone is supposed to be playing something that they couldn't possibly play with the instruments given. Like, when drums come in when someone is just playing acoustic guitar, or backup vocals when one person is singing. I love it!

3. Tom and his partner pull over a car of guys who have just robbed a convenience store. Partner to Tom: "You stay and cover these guys. I'm gonna run down the street and find a pay phone to call this in." FIND a PAY PHONE?? What is this, the 1800's??

4. Needless to say, post-80's-makeover Tom has all the high school ladies swooning. To keep things legal, he's gotta find a way to keep them away. How does he do it? Tells them he has herpes, of course. Tom to no-longer-interested girl: "If you want, I can call you when it goes into remission."

5. There is an absolutely amazing opening credits sequence. For real, I am so glad I grew up in the age of the "original song written about the show over clips of the characters" type of opening credits. (See: Who's The Boss, Growing Pains, every show ever on TGIF). And that spray paint sound effect just kills me! The song is sung by costar Holly Robinson of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper fame...

"Your friends will be there when your back is to the waa-aa-aaaalll..."


And all that was from two episodes! I can't wait to watch the rest!

1 comments:

just mom January 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM  

Now you've got me interested. I just might have to borrow that DVD from you! :)

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive