1994 mix tape

This is the second in my series of year mix tapes. Check out my 1997 mix here!

So true. Also, in addition to being hilarious with Fred Armisen, Carrie is the guitarist/singer from Sleater-Kinney, one of the deliciously 90's bands featured below.

The years surrounding 1994... When you wanted to hear a song or an album you had to wait for a CD or a 7" or 12" vinyl to show up at the local record store. When you wanted to see a music video, you had to have MTV on in the background so you might catch it. And lucky you if you had a video tape in and could hit "record" so you could watch it again later.

When you had endless discussions with friends about what a particular lyric was in a song because it's not printed in the CD booklet. A world where if you wanted the music you had to really want it and search for it. No single mouse click access to everything you could ever even want to hear or know about a song.


Thrift store cardigan, thrift store jeans, thrift store t-shirt, converse shoes. Don't know why I'm sitting on a car cuz I'm definitely years away from driving it.

The mid-90's for me were (thanks to my older brother and friends) a time of discovering the kind of music I'd love for the rest of my life. We listened to CD's & records. We went to rock shows in little venues all around Detroit and Canada. We painstakingly figured out the chords and parts and lyrics of each song we loved so we could play and sing them in our bedrooms and later maybe perform them in the school talent shows.

It was an awesome time for indie rock. And regular rock, for that matter.


Without further ado, behold my 1994 mix tape:

Loser - Beck
You Ain't It - Sleater-Kinney
Cut Your Hair - Pavement
Range Life - Pavement
Roads - Portishead
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
Skull - Sebadoh
I Can't Stop Smiling - Velocity Girl
Seven - Sunny Day Real Estate
Basket Case - Green Day
Longview - Green Day
Seether - Veruca Salt
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
Not Happy - Jale
Zombie - Cranberries
Stay - Lisa Loeb
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley


the entire Sloan "Twice Removed" album
Fun fact #1: I have been to more Sloan shows than any other band- I'm talking around the dozens range. Fun fact #2: Chris Murphy and I have kissed. Don't judge, it was just a peck. But it counts.

and obbbbbviously

The entire Weezer "Blue" album. Every single song. Always.


My now-defunct band the Sonic Booms covers Weezer's "Say It Ain't So"








bonus pop guilty pleasure 1994 mini-mix:
On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men
I'll Make Love to You - Boyz II Men
("I'm gonna taaaEEEK my CA looOOOhs off tooOOOooOO")
Kiss From a Rose - Seal
All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey

and the rest of the Mariah Carey "Merry Christmas" album (best Cmas album of all time, duh)

Well, I've given you lots to digest. Enjoy!

Mike informed me that earlier this week, Buzzfeed had an article about how 1994 was an amazing year for music. Let me assure you that I had this amazing blog post idea all on my ownsies and didn't rip em off. We're just both great like that, I guess.

2 comments:

Mike H. August 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM  

That's why they call me the dreamcrusher

c August 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM  

Fun comparison times again!

Good recap of what music life was like back then. Except I don't think I owned a cd player until closer to the end of the millennium.

"Zombie" is one of my least favorite songs of all time. :-/

Imma gonna go with:

I Swear - All 4 One
Stay - Lisa Loeb (we matched!! unbelievable!)
Shoop - Salt 'N Pepa
Another Night - Real McCoy

Not a great year for me, music-wise, with all the Ace of Base, Celine Dion, Meatloaf, Pearl Jam, etc. Glad you hit your stride that year, though!

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive