pushy


So in preparation for my stay in the hospital, I made a "labor playlist". I imagined my baby girl emerging in the dimmed lights of the swanky birthing room to some lovely She & Him or acoustic Metric song. Turns out she was actually born through a gaping hole in my stomach under the fluorescent lights of the OR. But back when they still thought she was coming the traditional way, I had lots of tunes going.


After I had labored along for severallll hours, it was finally time to push. I started the music mellow in hopes of getting relaxed. Here's a sampling:

"Make You Feel My Love" - Adele
"You Really Got a Hold On Me" - She & Him
"Roslyn" - Bon Iver & St. Vincent
"Close Your Eyes" - Juliana Hatfield
"All Is Full of Love" - Bjork
"Waiting On an Angel" - Ben Harper
"Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" - Sufjan Stevens
"Wild Is the Wind" - Cat Power
"The Sea and the Rhythm" - Iron & Wine

Then after over an hour had passed of serious work, I decided it was way too quiet and I needed to get into rock star mindset with some Paramore. None of this "Only Exception" either... it was all about the rock:



Then as we went into the third hour of nonstop pushing (labor is appropriately named, as it turns out), I was ready for some classic faves, and had Mike turn on a mix of dancey Metric:



All that amounted to was a lot of work set to a lot of music. But in the end all that mattered was when I got to see my baby girl for the first time.




1 comments:

d December 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM  

these photos are so beautiful.

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive