gone but not forgotten

In case you never took a Spanish class or knew anyone who informed you of the culture south of the border, the predominantly Mexican holiday Dia de Los Muertos is upon us. I certainly don't mean to make light or trivialize the deep significance of the holiday, but I must say that one of the main reasons I enjoy it is for its lovely aesthetic.

The Day of the Dead has a lot of Catholic connotations, but at its heart is a time on November 1st and 2nd to remember those close to us who have passed away. Despite its name, it is not a morbid or somber time, but rather an opportunity to celebrate life and family. Displaying an ofrenda (technically meaning "offering", but not meant to worship the deceased, just honor them) is a large part of the ritual.

I love the vibrant clutter and the traditional use of crosses, skulls, designs cut in paper, and marigolds. In fact, I had plans to make an ofrenda of my own this year but ran out of time. But I think I will celebrate belatedly... So hopefully you'll see photos soon!

3 comments:

Mike H. November 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike H. November 1, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

You should still make something! That'd be neat!

/fixed typo

my name is karen. November 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

aw it was cute the first way :)

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive