fossil rimdiculous

My favorite part of our vacation was this crazy zoo in Texas called Fossil Rim. You drove a 10 mile long path that led you through herds of animals roaming free. Think Jurassic Park without the screaming and quivering water and dying in bathroom stalls.

You could buy a bag of food pellets to throw out your car windows. They told us to be especially careful of the zebras because they bite! Anywho, here are some of the animals we encountered...

It was odd how rhinos look so different when they wallow in other kinds of mud... it's so reddish here.


Our first visitor! Seriously, a lot of animals must see cars as food dispensers because they come right over. It was really kinda funny.

INSERT FOOD PLZ


*walks around to other window* MORE FOOD PLZ


Yay zebras! There were lots of them milling about. Soon after this above pic, I was looking out Mike's window at a couple zebras and the next thing I know I sense a... presence in the car. I looked over and two zebra heads were fully inside the car chewing on the steering wheel and turn signal knob! All I could think about was what they said about zebras biting, so I kinda freaked out and jumped over onto Mike! The zebras backed away and Mike and I sorted ourselves out so he could get this next photo before they left...

Sure, they don't look scary here... Try having them inches from your face!


There were even cheetahs there. Of course they were behind a fence.


I was a little disappointed when I saw the giraffes so far away. They said the giraffes were the one animal you could feed by hand. We stopped and waited for a bit...


...and coaxed it over. Yayzzz.


NOM NOM NOM


Not pictured: ostriches and many different kinds of elky/deerish animals. At one point we even caused a mini-stampede! This place was awesome- I totally recommend if you are nearish to the Dallas area!

2 comments:

dem July 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

giraffes have such pretty eyelashes! how lucky you were to see them up close!!

Theresa Koehler July 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

apparently my next vacation is going to be nearish to the Dallas area then ... I just decided. wow! in Kenya, we went on a safari in a van with a pop-top, which was pretty amazing. i wouldn't trade it. we were not, however, allowed to feed the animals. oooh I wanted to get closer to the giraffes so badly! super jealous. looks like you had a great time.

Post a Comment

my name is karen

and here you will find things that i make and see.

Blog Archive